Friday, April 07, 2006

Cow hickeys, rocking chairs, iced tea & chicken fried steak

That's right folks. Cow hickeys. My thumbs were both a little sore after last weekend. We went to visit Mark's grandparents and meet with the church up there (up there being Oklahoma, due to their recent re-location) about doing a youth rally. When we arrived Saturday afternoon we all sat on the porch in rocking chairs for about 2 hours - drank iced tea by the gallons (at least my brother-in-law Toby and I did) and talked about the usual. What's the usual? Church, politics, the farm... church... more church... you get the idea. It was great.

About the cow hickeys, Granny and Grandad (I'll just insert this here: I LOVE MY NEW FAMILY) have two bottle-fed calves right now. They had eight a few weeks ago but the other 6 have been moved to the pasture. One of the calves was very shy but the other (once he realized I'd let him suck my thumb) was not so shy. I named him Tucker. I have a picture of me bottle feeding Tucker the Holstein, but I can't locate it at the moment. Anyway, he was the cutest cow ever (how could he not be? he sucked on my thumb!!!!)

I have longed to sit on the porch and drink iced tea and relax and listen to Toby strum on the guitar while Mark and Grandad lead the discussion on the latest church topics - and we can't forget Granny asking every 2 minutes if you need anything else.

I hate my job right now. That's o.k. But I've been thinking, on the porch I felt at home. I feel that I belong there. In this office, I do not feel as if I belong. In fact, most days I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb. Hmmmm... just thinking.

We haven't had a weekend to ourselves since we got married. This weekend (tonight) we're driving to Houston to see Mark's parents. We'll get back late Sunday I'm sure. We'll have a great time - no doubt, but today I'm weary with the thought of more travel. I didn't want to get out of bed this morning being so overwhelmed with what the day might hold in store.

You're wondering where the chicken fried steak comes in? Well, last night, my other brother-in-law Seth came over and the three of us (that includes Mark) had chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, corn and rolls. It was really good. I did pretty well if I don't say so myself (at least, I've come to that conclusion after just finishing some of the left overs for lunch.) Last night, however, I wasn't so confident. This is the second time this week I've cooked for company and I must say that it can be stressful. Tuesday I cooked for 6 (yeah, Mark tells me we're having company on Monday night when we're about to be asleep - he thought I knew). Last night, I cooked for family but that I think can be more stressful because you have to see them the rest of your life! And if they hate it they'll nag you about it forever! Oh the terror! So, both nights I was complimented. But I was really nervous when I got finished last night and realized I hadn't made gravy. I thought Mark would be really upset (I don't know why, but I did.) I wanted it to be perfect (cause it's his favorite meal) and I felt I'd screwed it up. He however, vehelmently disagreed. He thought it was great.

Oddly enough, as I scurried around our tiny kitchen and listened to Mark and Seth's discussion, I also thought about what my blogging buddies might be doing right then. I know, it sounds crazy but I wondered how y'all were spending your evenings. What were you eating for dinner? Who were you with? What are you struggling with right now? I guess it's odd to wonder about people you don't really "know." Or maybe not.

The point in all this? Not sure. But I do know I'd love to go home and take a nap with my husband, or sit on a porch and drink iced tea, or be anywhere but here at my desk right now.

Wow. I feel this had no point at all except that I love good times with family, a good rocking chair, a tall glass of iced tea and homemade chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes. It's not comfort food because that's what you find your solace in: it's comfort food because that's what you know best.

Ya'll have a great weekend... I know I will.

3 comments:

Scott said...

And it's comfort food because it tastes soooooo good smothered in white gravy ;-)

Now the whole cow-hickey thing sounds too much like one of Discom's perverted weekend activities - "and boy were my thumbs RED!" I don't even know what that means, but it sounds Discom-dirty...

GreatBeefalo said...

I give this a righteous two "dags" up. And since you asked, last night I was eating tuny-fish sandwiches in the breakroom and listening to my co-worker Art go hysterical when I told him we buried animals on our property. He thinks thats the greatest thing ever. Go fig.

Beverly said...

Front porch memories are the best!! I remember sitting on a squeaky glider on my Grandma'a front porch.