Monday, July 04, 2005

Happy 4th?

I have always loved the 4th of July... from the cheesy patriotic music to the setting of of fireworks. Last night some friends and I went to watch fireworks in Addison at "Kaboom Town." Apparently they've done this for many years and people sit on the sidewalks and park their cars and trucks in empty land lots and watch the spectacular display of fireworks. We were all sitting around talking about what we used to do for the 4th when we were children and I got to thinking. And this thinking made my heart ache for days when things weren't so complicated, when chilled watermelon and a Roman Candle were the epitomy of happiness... when catching fireflies in glass jars so as to contain the magic of them for just a moment and sleeping with windows open on hot summer nights were all we knew. When the biggest upset or heartbreak was someone calling you a bad name or not wanting to play the game you wished to play.

On this 4th of July, I long for the days of the less complicated and heartbreaking. I long for the peace that comes with good friends and the best family in the world.

And while I'm not with my family, I have peace. I have good friends now and I realize I can make it. I will make it.

So, happy 4th of July everyone! I hope yours is the best one yet... and if it isn't that you realize that it can only get better. It can only get better.

3 comments:

rambouillet said...

Thanks Unc. Hang in there... we'll make it!

GreatBeefalo said...

yeah, but you forgot that the thing that really makes the 4th good is the little underwater fireworks you get for 2.50 per 100. HELLO! UNDERWATER!

GOSH!

rambouillet said...

Yes, Napolean ROCKS!!!