Monday, November 28, 2005

An engaging weekend!



On November 20, 2005 Mark proposed to me! We went to my parent's house so he could ask my Dad for a blessing to get married. Mark didn't want to ask me until he talked to my Dad. On our way out of town, in the nothingness between Artesia and Eunice, New Mexico Mark supposedly "remembered" that he'd forgotten something.

"Oh crap!"
"What?"
"I think I forgot my black belt." He looks very concerned at this point.
"Can I pull over and see if it's in the trunk?
"Sure. That's fine."

Mark gets out and rummages through the trunk. In the meantime, I'm looking out the driver's side window trying to figure out what we'll do if he forgot it. Did he really want to drive and hour back to Artesia to get it? Couldn't my Mom ship it to him? Could we not buy a new one? And then my car door opens...

"Hey, I got a question for ya..."
I turn around to see Mark, on one knee with the ring in his hand, HUGE grin on his face. At this point I am COMPLETELY FLOORED. I had NO idea - I was SO suprised (which is exactly what he wanted as we discussed later). He had to ask me three times because I couldn't believe it!
"Will you marry me?"
Eventually I squeled, "OF COURSE!" and that sealed the deal.

We stood outside the car and savored the moment.
"Wow. This is big. Let's pray," he said. And so we did. I LOVE THIS MAN!!

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!

You know, pulling over on the side of the road because you can't wait any longer to ask may not seem like such a big deal. But let me tell you, I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE EXCITED in my life. It was perfect. I was completely suprised. Mark said he'd planned out several ideas... working it into a Young Life skit was one of them. But he really wanted me to be suprised. If he'd taken me out to a really nice place to eat, I would have been wondering... and he didn't want me to know it was coming. IT WAS PERFECT. PERFECT.



The rest of the trip home was great. We called everyone we knew to share the news. Shocking news to most, but fabulous news nonetheless. I was excited to hear and see him so excited about it.



And now you guys can be exited too!

3 comments:

Demosthenes said...

Smoothe! Very Smoothe. Congrats again! :)

Katie said...

Stop right there! WHAT??? I am so excited for you! How did I miss this on Wednesday night!?? Congratulations girl, I am so so so happy for you! May the Lord shower you with blessings during this time!

rambouillet said...

Writer - the belt was in the trunk... he knew this the whole time. Wait a minute... that means he lied to me! ;)

Katie - Thanks!