Monday, April 11, 2005

Breakfast

I woke up on Saturday morning, stomach growling... insatiable hunger. I wanted some of Memaw's sausage and biscuits. So, thinking that maybe if I got ready fast enough and drove at just the right speed I could get there in time to smell the warmth of the biscuits on the aluminum pan and the grease in the iron skillet. I lept from the bed. Quickly getting dressed, hunger pains growing, I grabbed my keys and raced to the car. I notice when turning on the ignition that I'm out of gas. Dang it. That will slow me down. So, I speed to the gas station... change already light... I've got places to be! Insert debit card, won't this thing pump any faster! Full tank. YES! Green lights and I'm homeward bound. Right turn onto Baxley drive, pull up to the curb of good 'ol 1818 and ignition off. Run to the front door. Stop. Wait a second. Let's savor this... three, two, one... pushing the gold door latch down I unlock the door to my awaiting happiness. I knew the living room would be empty so I make my way straight to the kitchen to find... utter disapointment. A fate worse than death - no sausage and biscuits. No breakfast period. Slap me. I walk into Memaw's den area to find Jon and her sitting happily eating egg burritos. Oh no. Don't tell me I missed egg burritos. This is going to be a terrible day. "You're about 2 minutes two late," chimes my brother. Stupid gas pump, I think to myself. "You need one?" asks Memaw. Duh, I think to myself again. I say nothing and sulk to the kitchen. Ug. The skillets are in the sink. I pull them out and manage the will power to dry them off and set them on the stove. Enters Memaw. She pulls the eggs, cheese, butter and tortillas out of the refrigerator, sets them out around the stove ceremoniously. And we begin, with out many words (as is customary) to make a egg burrito - Memaw style. God help me.

So, this will be a good day. My frustration with the lack of sausage and biscuits was null and void. A homemade egg burrito (only the best), not just made by Memaw but with Memaw. Who could ask for more?

2 comments:

rambouillet said...

EXACTLY! And its pretty bad when Jasmine can't fix the problem...

this is giving me flashbacks...

Gel said...

:)