Friday, April 29, 2005

Music to My Ears

Music is an interesting phenomenon. It can make you laugh or cry. It can stir the emotions like nothing else can. Art can stir emotions as well, but music is altogether different. I was listening to a CD at work today, one that I hadn't listened to since December. Even though it is spring now, flowers blooming and warm breezes blowing, because of this CD I could have walked out the door thinking it was the dead of winter with black ice on 635 and snow falling as I drove home from work. I had vivid pictures and memories of walking through Love Field, bags in tow with Christmas presents for my family boarding a Plane to Midland/Odessa. It reminded me of seeing warm friends who light up your life just by their very presence whether you've known them a few weeks or many years.

There are some songs that I will never again be able to listen to because of the people or times in my life they remind me of. There are others that take me to places so bittersweet it makes my heart long for more and ache for it to stop all at once. O the turmoil! But it is a rich and blessed turmoil. It amazes me that sounds can cause the brain to register such emotions. The science of it is dumbfounding.

I guess I have been called to the right field of study.

3 comments:

GreatBeefalo said...

yeah, everytime I listen to "Carmina Burana" I feel likes it the dead of Russian winter...and thats why I love it.

Gel said...

Hi, - I've been reading your comments with interest :), for a long while at Mark's blog. (Frustrated Writer). Finally, squeezed in some time to visit more sites from his list- Love your blog!

I'm one of those who goes back and reads a blog from its beginnings. It's the writer/artist/people person in me.

Music has always moved me although I cannot sing well. It's soothing, elicits memories, is the driving force with sound for poetry I write and even for artwork. (I don't actutally have music on when I write or paint, though)

I'm linked on some blog bud sites to one or both of my sites. This one here is my older site. Each post is a song title for reasons beyond the obvious. Hope you visit there (Good Vibrations where I'm Green-Eyed Lady) and my other site usually has different posts (see the categories, like poetry- I love your writins!!!) The other site is www.SilkenThreads18.blog.com (not blogspot) where I'm SilverMoon.

Gel said...

OMG, Ram-
My most recent post is titled "Music to My Ears" so you just have to visit!! :)