Thursday, April 28, 2005

Memaw & Grandmom

I have been blessed with tremendous women in my life. I wouldn't be half of who I am today without their presence in my life. Yesterday, I sat with my grandmother and cried. Sometimes we sit and cry, others we laugh so hard we cry. Yesterday we cried. The great thing about it is that we're both o.k. with it. Neither of us is embarrassed or feels we have to explain anything. Unspoken understandings - I love those. That's what makes life worth living.

This particular grandmother has been there and back again. She has been taking care of someone her whole life. A true servant, never complaining. She's the one who tells me to "get over it," as I have mentioned in a previous blog. She is one of the hardest working, most humble, generous persons I know. She is still in love with the man she married in her youth, who died of ALS when I was only a year old. She doesn't have a college education, but she's one of the wisest people I know. I owe much of who I am today to her.

My great grandmother B, is an amazing woman also. This woman climbed up on the roof of her house to re-roof it while in her 60s. She doesn't play around! She has the best attitude of anyone I know. I love the way she laughs, it is always music to my ears. And you haven't had gravy 'til you've eaten it at her house brother. She'll tell it to you straight and if there's a snake or "critter" or "varmit" within 10 miles of the house, you better believe she'll take care of it. Thanksgiving will forever be my favorite holiday due to spending it at her house. I owe much of who I am today to her.

Both of these women have taught me to be self reliant enough to get by, but gracious enough to let someone else help you when you need it. They have encouraged me when I thought there was no need to go on, when I thought I didn't have a prayer in the world. They have taught me its o.k. to laugh at yourself and o.k. to cry when you need to, just so long as you don't feel sorry for yourself. They have been examples of the most important lessons in my life.

If I am even a 1/4 of what these women are when I am their age, if I can be even a small example of what they have been to me, then maybe I will have done the world some justice. I am thankful that I have been able to spend as much time as I have with them. I pray I cherish every moment of it until its gone. This is what makes life worth living.

1 comment:

Gel said...

This tugged at my heartstrings. I also enjoy seeing Brooklyn's comments here, too. :)

WHen you visit the Green-eyed Lady blog, there is a post you might find interesting w/ sweet memories about my grandma, because I have far too many other yuckky memories.

This post is my strength like you spoke of so eloquently in yours. To be self-reliant is majorly important for a woman. Loved reading this piece of yours.
That post is "Stairway to Heaven".
http://green-eyedlady.blogspot.com/2005/02/stairway-to-heaven.html. (My blog html is a bit messed up. If you cut and pase that link in your browser, it should take you right there.)
If hot, it's in FEB archives, but you need to scroll WAY down on my blog to see that area.