Wednesday, October 19, 2005

They paved paradise and I got a piece of it anyway...

Yesterday I was driving along 635, trying to get to get to a volleyball game. Called my bro, the GreatBeef, received some terrible news regarding our middle brother. Got off the phone with Beef, had some Mercy Me playing (Here With Me) and was longing to be elsewhere - anywhere but 635 on the way to a volleyball game where I would more than likely be one of the line judges as has been the case at every game except the first one (and, gasp! guess what? I was!). I longed to be somewhere I could experiance God's beauty... not amidst the concrete, skyscraper, horn-honking, finger-flipping population I was presently surrounded by. Mountains, beaches... anywhere. Just me and God.

And here come the tears.

I'm way too tired. Way too upset about my brother.

And here the song is playing about God's presense and you're never alone... and I know this. I find comfort. But I'm still on 635. So I'm kinda doin' my own worship thing in the car, as I often do... but I still wish I could just be somewhere else...

Not five minutes later... I look over to my left... and I see this huge ocean wave crashing onto a huge black rock! Torrents of rain coming down! Clouds bursting open with water pouring from the sky! I was breathless. Literally breathless. What in the world? For about 10 seconds I wasn't on 635 anymore. I couldn't tell you where I was... but I wasn't on 635!

For a second or two I thought I was going crazy. Then I saw the Xterra. Oh. How funny! It was a semi-truck that pulled up beside me with a HUGE billboard sized advertisement on the side of it that had a picture of an Xterra driving along an oceanside cliff in the rain.

I have NEVER seen one of those trucks before with one of those advertisements on them.

TELL me that truck didn't drive up beside me JUST FOR ME.

Cause I think it did.

God is good.

4 comments:

rambouillet said...

:) You're a sweetie!

And I MUST say... who are those HOTTIES you posted on your blog... dang. SOMEbody stop them! ;)

Scott said...

I was a little confused for a minute, as I thought, "How could the words to 'Mercy Me' be interpreted about God's presence?" But then I discovered that you were talking about lyrics other than Marvin Gaye's song.

So I looked up the lyrics.

I long for your embrace
Every single day
To meet you in this place
And see you face to face

Will you show me?
Reveal yourself to me
Because of your mercy
I fall down on my knees

And I can feel your presence here with me
Suddenly I'm lost within your beauty
Caught up in the wonder of your touch
Here in this moment I surrender to your love

You're everywhere I go
I am not alone
You call me as your own
To know you and be known

You are holy
And I fall down on my knees

I surrender to your grace
I surrender to the one who took my place

GreatBeefalo said...

I like Marvin Gaye! Hes downright religious in "Lets Get it On". Oh, I feel Christian in that song, for sure! Well, more like "dang, Im so single".

Anyway, I figure the billboard was really a mix of the following things:
al-kee-hol (lay off the sauce wo-man! just kidding)
fatigue
divine intervention (nah, scratch this one)

and as a side note, I dont think I want discom comforting me--"suck it up! call a waaah-bumlance!" Just kidding discom. Harrass all you want. I can take it --sniff--

GreatBeefalo said...

discom--Ill wait under a platform so you can jump off and squish me. I cant think of any other logistical way that you could do it standing next to me...stilts, maybe?

claraslvr--yeah, Trav's okay, just has a head full of stupid, stupid ideas. It sorted itself out, though.