Thursday, October 13, 2005

Young Life



I went to a Young Life club meeting on Monday night. Met up with the leaders there (Mark being one of them). Never been to Young Life before. Not quite sure what to expect. I had friends in high school who did Young Life but didn't ever go to any of their activities myself. Been to their website... talked to people about it, done that kind of research but hadn't experianced it yet.

So I got there early and met the other leaders. They were all super nice and made me feel really welcomed which I was REALLY grateful for. We all circled up and Dave (the head honcho of this outfit) gave everyone inteneraries for the evening and discussed the events and whatnot. He even gave me an assignment! Before we prayed, Mark read a scripture and had a few words of encouragement. And let me just say that Mark is awesome. He is a man of the Word.

The kids came in and we sang some fun secular songs, the guys did some skits, the kids played some games and Ed got the kids simmered down by playing a christian song. Dave did a devotional thought and it was GREAT. He talked about how he sees there's three ways to see Jesus and everyone in that room sees Jesus in one of those three ways...

It was amusing to see Mark and the guys all decked out - ghetto fabulous - for the skit they did. They were hilarious! The kids loved it!

It dawned on me that Young Life really isn't about kids who already go to church. Young Life is about drawing the kids in who would never darken the doorway of a church. It's about planting the seed. That seed may take root today or next week or a year or 10 years from now. But the point is: it's about planting it.


I enjoyed being there with those high schoolers. It was a good time, you know. They weren't out getting into trouble anywhere and they heard a good message. I'm all about that. It's funny, cause they look so young to me now. Did we look that young in high school? I'm sure we did. I think I may start helping out on Mondays. I miss working with kids. That has been evident for awhile. Volleyball will be over next week and I'll be missing those rascals. This will be a great way to get involved with more kids who need Jesus.

We'll see.

So those of you who don't know much about YL should check it out: www.younglife.org. It's a pretty cool ministry.

No comments: