Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Cuddles

My Dad called me yesterday and told me that our family dog of 15 or 16 years died of a rattle snake bite. Stupid snake.

I loved that dog. If I had a picture of her I post it, but I don't have one with me. I taught her to place fetch. I'd come home from school and stand outside for hours and show her how to fetch. We've had her since I was in the third or fourth grade.

Dang. She was a good dog.

I know it's just a dog, but she was part of the family.

My Dad has a blog now, you should read it. It's linked from here: AggieVet. He wrote some about Cuddles as well.

I just don't have much more to say about it right now. I just miss the ol girl. She was a good dog. What a dog should be: loyal and true.

I wish I could have been there yesterday when she went... to hold her. To give her a hug.

If only people were as good as she was. That's sad to say, isn't it?

3 comments:

Gel said...

((Hugs)) for the loss of your dog. What an adorable affectionate name, too. I'm a dog lover. I still remember the loss of my first dog when I was in high school each dog since has had a special place in my heart. I'm sorry your Cuddles passed prematurely.

Demosthenes said...

It's weird that you posted this because several years ago, my brother had a miniature pinscher who was the more loyal and adorable creature on the planet. One night we went to play bball down the street at ACU and she freaked out because she didn't like to be left at home. I left the dog door open to the backyard and somehow she slipped through the fence. When we went looking for her, I was the one who found her dead on the street.

Literally to this day, I still have nightmares about it. That's what's weird. I just had a nightmare about my brother getting a new mini-pin and then losing her again. I woke up in a pannicked sweat because we could not find her.

So I fully understand the loss of a beloved pet. Some people thought my brother and I were just being wimps to grieve like that over an animal. But they're more than just animals aren't they? Dogs represent to me the perfection we long to see in ourselves. Undying love, pure innocent hearts and a willingness to help and comfort others no matter what. I know this sounds cheesy, but the timing of this post (after just waking from my nightmare) really has me going right now.

Scott said...

No such thing as "just a dog." They are often the kind of companions that humans are incapable of being.

So sorry.