Thursday, August 11, 2005

Pigskin

The rustling of dried leaves over the pavement. Smells of chimney smoke; the quiet in the air, sounds dampened by the cool. The smell of newly sharpened lead pencils and school bells...

It's time for some pigskin.

Texas High school football is great because it's mostly just a bunch of boys playin' ball cause they want to. Sometimes because their dads want them to. Sometimes to impress a girl. But mostly, cause it's about the spirit of Friday night. It's about the floodlights in the stadium. The fight song played over a roaring crowd. The adrenaline. And for what? Some 17 year old kids. We'll go scream our heads off to pump up the ego of a 17 year old. He'll feel like a pro. That's awesome.

I love to see the glow of stadium lights on Friday. LOVE IT. It stirs something in me, makes this thing in me rise up and it takes hold of my heart.

5 comments:

Scott said...

I feel the same way about Monday Night Football - especially having moved to Hawaii. One can feel a little disconnected here - culturally, temporally, and ethnically.

Football seems to pull me back to the familiar. I revel in the culture of the pigskin as much as I love the game itself.

Viva la pigskin!

Katie said...

Growing up in Midland, I was at every high school football game, every Friday night. I still go to the games when I'm in town, or when the team comes to Abilene.

The swell of the fight song after a touchdown, the bitterly fought rivalries, the celebrated players who play just because they love the game, the parents decked out in their school colors, the do-or-die spirit...there's nothing like it. Long live high school football! It's a glorious way to spend autumn.

rambouillet said...

Katie - there's two high school's in Midland right? Midland Lee and Midland Christian?

rambouillet said...

I'm pretty sure there's a Midland Christian though as well... there were kids from ACU that went there ... or at least I thought so...

rambouillet said...

I was forgetting about Midland High though... thanks!