Friday, August 19, 2005

Running the Gauntlet

Last night my bro the Great Beefalo, Sydney and I walked around Valley Ranch. It was after midnight and things were pleasantly peaceful. On our way back toward the house we came to a piece of sidewalk that was spotted with sprinkler heads. They were on, spraying away, dousing the sidewalk. Pivoting at various intervals spewing their life giving water on the grass... and the paved way home.

"You wanna run the gauntlet?" I asked.
"Are you serious?"
"Yeah."

The three of us stood there, all thinking about the timing... it had to be just right. (Yes, Sydney was calculating as well. Ears flat, nose twitching, she was preparing.)

Beef started to jog and then stopped abruptly. Me being behind him (and too short to see what was going on) slammed into his back.

"GO!" I said frantically.
"I was but..."

And Sydney and Beef took off leaving me in the spray. So we all just ran, at first trying to make the effort to not get sprayed, however, this idea was soon abandoned and we simply ran to keep from getting further soaked.

My cackling laughter could probably be heard for a block or two. We came to the end of the gauntlet, wet and laughing.

We walked on, getting closer to our final destination and lo and behold, there was another, yes, another gauntlet of sprinklers.

"You wanna try again?"
There was some sort of gutteral response to this.
"Or we could just run through them."
"You serious?"
"Yes!"

So we ran through the sprinklers, laughing, feeling like we were kids again even though we had just been discussing the weights on our hearts and were up, walking Valley Ranch well after midnight on a worknight like the irresponsible adults we were.

6 comments:

Demosthenes said...

Good thing the Cowboys were still at camp in Oxnard California!

rambouillet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rambouillet said...

By the way, I've decided to call you, Writer and Scott "The Plow Boys" because you "sow the seed."

HA! I love it!

rambouillet said...

Everyone needs a good runnin' through the sprinklers every now and again... it's good for the soul.

GreatBeefalo said...

I wouldve run but you flogged my timing, foo! I got a nice shot in the face...

I dont think Sydney Wydney minded, she was just happy to be runnin' with the dogs.

GreatBeefalo said...

err, I guess its not the dogs, its a cow-buffalo mix and a black sheep. whatever.