Friday, September 23, 2005

Rosalie & Eric

At the Target off of Marsh and Beltline, there happens to be a lady by the name of Rosalie. Let me tell you alittle about Rosalie. She always wears her hair in a bun. She has to be in her 50s I would think... but doesn't have much grey hair. She is hispanic (so even at her age, her skin color is beautiful) and speaks with an accent. I love it. When you check out at Rosalie's counter, you don't just get the typical "how are you? did you find everything o.k.?" spill that every other clerk will give you. Nope. Rosalie excels in customer service and entertainment. She chatters mindlessly (at least, most people would say it was mindlessly) and she will sing "Don't Worry Be Happy" while scanning your purchased items among other things. She has these sayings, I never can remember them, but there're always fabulous and they make my day. She is a doll. I watch people as they stand in her line. They way they treat her makes me SO angry. I don't understand it. How could you not appreciate her? What's so wrong with returning the goodwill she is so determined to give to people? Oy. It torments me. Anyway, she's great. Well, my boss sent me to Target today to buy every last heavy duty umbrella they had. We have a bridal show on Sunday (ug) and she is expecting the weather to be terrible. So, I went to Target and bought 15 umbrellas and 6 jars of picante sauce (for the seminar we hosted this evening.) So I have the umbrellas and hot sauce and I get in Rosalie's line. She looks at the contents I've just thrown onto the conveyor belt and says, "You expecting it to rain?" If this question had come from anyone else, I would have thought them an idiot. But not Rosalie.

"Well, my boss sent me for these."

She looked at the umbrellas again. Then the hot sauce.

"I can't tell if you will be cold or you will be hot!" I think by this she meant, cold from the rain and hot from the sauce, but I'm not sure. I chuckled. Rosalie and the lady behind me thought I was a complete fool and half crazy. I loved it because Rosalie, who everyone else thinks is crazy thought I was crazy today. I love it.

She finished ringing me up and said, "I'll see you when I see you." She always says this as people leave her register. I think it's a very appropriate saying, being that we really don't know when the next time we'll see people is.

So then I go to pick up copies at Office Depot. Eric, I've blogged about him before, poor thing. He married a woman in China about 2 months ago. And I mean, she is from China and he went there to marry her. Well, she can't come to the states until all the paper work is finished which could be 6 months to 2 years!!!! Needless to say, he usually wants to talk about it. He misses her! Who wouldn't need to talk about it? I make it a point to ask how his wife is because he loves to talk about her. There was a woman in front of me picking up a stamp order and she was so rude to him. It just infuriates me!

I'm just so tired of the selfishness!! Good gravy!

If people would just stop for 5 seconds and ask someone how they were doing and honestly meant it (as opposed to it being a formality) we would be so much better off!

Anyway, I hope people like Rosalie and Eric have people who love them to go home to at night. Eric will soon, but at least until then he can talk to his wife over instant messanger or the phone. I'm not sure about Rosalie, but I hope she has great people in her life who cover her in their love.

Everyone deserves to be loved by someone. Everyone deserves to be listend to. We just need to stop and remember that some days because I think too often that not, we are so caught up in our own lives that we are blinded and can't see the needs of those around us.

God, help us see the needs of those around us. Forgive us when we're blinded by our own selfishness.

3 comments:

Demosthenes said...

This post reminds me of a sweet sweet hispanic lady named Rosie (wierd huh?) who worked in "The World Famous Bean" every morning. Several of us had sort of a breakfast club thing going on and we would always say hi to Rosie and ask how she was doing.

We really wanted to take the time to appreciate her, even though all she ever did was slide our IDs through the scanner. But she was special and she appreciated the affection she got not just from us, but lots of students who knew and loved her.

When we became sophomores, we were no longer required to eat in the cafeteria as much so we didn't see her nearly as much. But when we did we always said hi and gae her a hug. Ram, thank you for this post and for reviving a precious memory that I had lost. That you notice the insignificant people that you encounter in your life is very very very Christ-like.

rambouillet said...

Thanks Demo. You're WAY too kind.

marrie said...

I can relate to your feelings on this subject. It is frustrating to see people being treated poorly. I try to be as friendly as possible to make up for it.
Thanks for the link!